Pages

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Spring Cleaning


Ahhhh spring time!  A time of new beginnings AND spring cleaning!   I don't know about you, but I get that urge once I can start opening up windows and letting the fresh air in.   We know the rest of the house, windows, floors, etc. get some attention, but do you actually take a look at your business area as one that needs a sprucing up as well? By the way, this isn't my desk area, but truthfully, there have been times it was close to this!

Most of us make our New Year's Resolutions, and then get everything set up with our business.   Then time goes on, and things get a little disheveled and disorganized.   You know how it is, you know you had that memo about calling someone about your business or products, but you just can't find it under all the clutter!

One thing that has helped me tremendously are those little desktop organizers.  One nice thing about desk organizers is that they are small enough to fit on a desktop but have nice little cubbies to put different items in.  Maybe you might have one for payments, one for catalogs, one for certain forms, etc.  Label them so they are easy to figure out what is in there.   One thing I love is to make it cute and a happy place to be. For example, my pen container is flowery, and I have a couple of flower pens in there to brighten things up.  Maybe a family picture.  Or a special motto hanging on the wall in front of you as a motivator.  I have a tropical picture my uncle painted hanging on the wall in front of my face. This not only reminds me of him, but also helps me remember the reason I am working - to be able to travel to wonderful tropical locations and some day to live on or near a beach. 

The biggest thing is to clean off the desk and dust it and the electronics around it.   Add ink where needed in printers, add paper in printers and copiers..Basically, freshen up!  Don't ignore that keyboard!  It can collect a lot of dust (and food!).  Keep papers organized in filing cabinets, file folders, etc.  

An organized desk/office makes life easier, makes it less stressful of an environment and helps you do your job more efficiently, which then flows through to your attitude with  your customers.   After all, great customer service is key to any business.   Being happy and unstressed in your work station will help you be the best you can be!

No comments:

Post a Comment